Crimping of grain is currently one of the most advanced ways of obtaining high quality feed for farm animals, such as poultry. Using the technology of crimping increases the profitability of the farm, due to the lower costs of harvesting grain in comparison with drying, reducing labor costs, higher nutritional value and better consumption by animals. In addition the grain is harvested in an earlier stage of maturing, which creates more flexibility and leads to a uniformly use of machines and human resources.
To ensure an efficient investment in the technology of crimping, following guidelines can be considered:
• Machines for crimping should be checked, prepared and cleaned.
• The area for the grain storage should also be carefully prepared, dried and treated from insects.
• Use solid plastic bags for compact and airtight storage of crimped grain.
• To ensure long-term storage of the crimped grain, it is necessary to use an effective chemical preservative based on formic and propionic acids, like ProMyrTM NT 520 or ProMyrTM NT 570.
• Install the nozzles in a proper place to apply the preservative, to maximize its distribution in the grain and minimize losses.
• Treat the grain by acid preservative preferably immediately after cut, to prevent it from heating.
• Ensure proper compacting, when the grains is stored, to get airtight condition.
• Do not open the plastic bag for six weeks, before the stabilization process ends.
• Watch for possible damages of the plastic film, caused by birds and rodents. Re-seal possible damages.