Superior technical performance and greater sustainability of PVC plasticizers are critical to many applications, particularly outdoors (roofing membranes and tarpaulins). Increasingly customers want a combination of greater longevity, lower maintenance costs, and lower carbon footprint. On all technical performance parameters, phthalate ester plasticizers based on isomeric C10 alcohols deliver a level of excellence that C8-9 plasticizers cannot achieve. This article focuses on performance comparisons based on the leading C8-9 general-purpose plasticizers available today. But do the performance differences warrant a change to C10? This article will help you decide.
C10 plasticizers belong to a small club of just two general-purpose plasticizers: Dipropylheptyl phthalate (DPHP) and Diisodecyl phthalate (DIDP). Both provide similar performance properties with DPHP marginally better in some areas. There are seven key areas where C10 plasticizers can show a clear advantage over their C8 and C9 rivals.
7 reasons for choosing C10 plasticizers
- Volatility – the low volatility of C10 plasticizers is perhaps one of the most important reasons why C10 plasticizers are more durable and are ideal for use in higher operating temperature applications such as cables wires and automotive interiors. The added durability increases product longevity to provide a more sustainable solution with a lower cradle-to-grave footprint.
- Water absorption – C10 plasticizers have an exceptionally low level of water absorption, which is a key weathering performance parameter for outdoor applications and cables subjected to moisture, particularly in reducing maintenance and service issues.
- Fogging – achieving low fogging is important in automotive foil applications where mandatory fogging requirements make C10 plasticizer the clear favorite in the auto industry.
- UV/Aging – DPHP, in particular, offers excellent UV stability and aging performance compared to other general-purpose plasticizers, making it preferred for roofing membranes and applications where weathering is an essential factor. By extending the useful product life, products contribute to greater sustainability and lower carbon footprint.
- Migration - coupled to low volatility, C10 plasticizers offer very low migration for stable longer life performance and a better toxicological profile.
- Density – C10 plasticizers’ lower density means that higher extrusion rates are achievable in processing, and also the overall PVC compound weight reduced, which is particularly important in the auto industry.
- Non-Classified (toxicologically approved) – significantly, compared to C8 plasticizers, which are classified, both the technical performance and safety profile of C10 plasticizers are non-classified under REACH.